Now for the final five of the Top 10 Apps for Mom, because I couldn’t get them to start at 6: (See Part 1 for the first five!)
- BugMe (FREE): This is a fun and simple way to organize her weekly to do list in a familiar sticky note fashion. (Have you ever received an envelope with a sticky note letter from Mom? I have.) It is not however good for medication reminders and the like – of course, there are other apps for that! Now, she will never give up her good old wall calendar but this will help remind her to look at it! HINT: help her discover what kinds of items she might need a reminder for and show her how to move them around the bulletin board.
- TuneIn Radio (FREE): Your mom is still of the generation that knows what radio is and this app lets her find stations with the music she loves. It beats the heck out of making Playlists! Throw in a cool new Jawbone wireless speaker so she can finally get rid of her 300 pound wifi collecting dust in the corner of the living room. Great for finding music in other languages! HINT: Add her favourites to the Presets so she can access them easily on her next visit.
- Netflix ($7.99/month): This is great gift for the Snowbird or traveling Mom who wants her own entertainment device. It also comes in handy when minding the grandkids! HINT: Show her around to identify shows and movies she might like and throw in the Belkin Grip 360 to beef up her gift!
- NPR/CBC Radio (FREE): Content that is just so darn interesting from announcers and personalities she knows. HINT: they both operate in a similar fashion, a quick tour should do the trick.
- Jamie Oliver – 20 Minute Meals ($6.99): Something Mom might not buy for herself because she doesn’t think she needs new recipes. She does. There are only 60 in this app but sometimes less is just more. Yes, Mom might have time on her hands, but after cooking for a family for 20 years, 20 minutes is all she can mentally spare. HINT: Teach her how to use the shopping list feature so she can use it on her iPhone and impress the cute produce boy at the grocery store!
You may have noticed that most of these apps are free. Does that still count as a gift? Definitely! It’s the gift of time that you add on as the most precious thing you can give to her. And just because they are free doesn’t mean you should get all of them. Try 2 or 3 to start, or your day together might end with a grey cloud over both of your heads. Happy Mother’s Day! And let me know which ones she liked best!